Are you looking for an opportunity to be a part of a musical celebration of global proportions? The DeBartolo Performing Arts Center has you covered!
Next week, the Center proudly welcomes the Czech National Symphony Orchestra to the Leighton Concert Hall. The program, titled 100 Years of Leonard Bernstein, is part of the larger #BernsteinAt100 series, a two-year, six-continent celebration of the composer’s legacy. From operas to musicals to cinematic scores, Bernstein’s corpus of work is well worthy of his legendary status. If you’re a fan of West Side Story, Candide, or On the Town, this is a night that you won’t want to miss!
At the helm of our event are conductor John Mauceri and mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard, both of whom have sterling musical legacies of their own. The two have teamed up for the 100 Years of Leonard Bernstein tour, bringing their homage to the composer to dozen of locations over the course of the past year. John Mauceri is a Grammy, Tony, and Olivier-winning conductor who also served as the first music director of the American Symphony Orchestra. Isabel Leonard celebrated for her “passionate intensity and remarkable vocal ability,” is a staple of the Metropolitan Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, and dozens of other acclaimed international opera houses.
Need some fast facts to convince you to be a part of this night?
- You’ll be hearing the best from a friend of the best! John Mauceri was a close confidante of Bernstein’s during his lifetime, directing many of the composer’s debuts.
- Like Bernstein, the Czech National Symphony Orchestra loves the movies! They performed on the soundtracks for The Best Offer and Quentin Tarantino’s Hateful Eight.
- The Czech NSO is an incredibly versatile group or performers! It was the first serious orchestra to perform music written for Japanese video games.
- Like Mauceri and Leonard, the Czech NSO is also award-worthy! It received the prestigious Gustav Mahler prize for their interpretation of Mahler’s works.
- Isabel Leonard is not a stranger to Notre Dame––she last headlined the Leighton in 2013!
Join DPAC for a truly unforgettable night of music on March 5th at 7:30 p.m!
Czech National Symphony Orchestra
The Czech National Symphony Orchestra is known for a broad repertoire spanning traditional classical music to contemporary works such as film scores and musicals. In its current tour, American conductor and former Bernstein protégé John Mauceri teams with mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard to present a celebratory program titled 100 Years of Leonard Bernstein, which culminates in the brilliant Symphonic Dances from West Side Story.
Tuesday, March 5, 2019, at 7:30 p.m.