Do you like jazz? If you do, then this weekend is your opportunity for one of the greatest jazz shows to ever come to South Bend. The Monterey Jazz Festival on Tour is coming to DPAC and bringing their unique new sound that will be the future of the genre. Here are five reasons you should come give a listen to these fantastic musicians on Saturday, April 13, 2019!
- Some Powerful Young Talent—If you think that jazz was left behind back in the 1920s, think again. This group has some of the greatest young musicians in jazz, showing the staying power of a classic genre of music. The group prides itself on its millennial talent and students will enjoy their energy as much as adults.
- Massive Star Power—The festival this year is headlined by Cécile McLorin Salvant, a 29-year old jazz vocalist. She is one of the biggest names in jazz music and even has three Grammys to her name for Best Jazz Vocal album, including this year’s. She adds yet another fantastic talent to the list of Grammy winners to play at the Center this year!
- A Long Tradition of the Greatest Jazz—The Monterey Jazz Festival has been alive since 1958, and the touring company has been around since 1964. The festival has featured musicians such as Louis Armstrong and Billie Holliday, and now these performers are filling their shoes.
- A Force for Learning—The Monterey Jazz Festival supports jazz education throughout the United States and donates over $600,000 per year to jazz education. The festival helps thousands of students learn and grow as musicians to continue their proud tradition.
- Experience the Future of Music—If the popularity of Postmodern Jukebox and the Monterey Jazz Festival are any indications, jazz is growing more popular and exciting. The show will feature the youngest artists of the genre playing exciting new pieces. This show will be where music will grow in the coming years!