The Irish Theatre of Chicago and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish? Sounds like a match made in heaven. Throw in a hilarious play about a strong, relatable female hero dealing with one of the greatest struggles of her life with honesty, class, awkwardness, and persistence, and you’ll understand why the upcoming showing of Geraldine Aron’s My Brilliant Divorce should be at the top of your Bucket List. But here’s a few more fun facts to get you ready:
- Since its founding in 1993, the mission of the Irish Theatre of Chicago has been to preserve, celebrate, and share the rich culture and history of Ireland, especially through the beautiful plays that Irish playwrights have produced. So if you can’t help but dance every time you hear the opening to Shipping Up to Boston at ND football games, then you’ll surely appreciate hearing the witty voice of a brilliant Irish playwright.
- It’s a one-woman show. If you’ve never seen a one-person show, then you definitely should go solely because there is nothing more impressive than watching a single person who has memorized hours of text tell a story. As an actor myself, I for one can say that I am always stunned when I watch a one-person show because it is so difficult to be able to get cues and carry a show all by yourself. So for any lover of theatre, seeing a one-person show is always a real treat.
- That being said, the other major star of the show is a stuffed German Shepherd toy named Axl.
- The show and its main actress, Barbara Figgins, were nominated for the Jeff Awards—the highest award that theatre can be considered for in the city of Chicago.
- If you’re a fan of shows like Will & Grace, The Big Bang Theory, Sex and the City, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, or (insert popular, irreverent, charming TV sitcom here), you’ll love Geraldine Aron’s writing. It’s filled with dry humor, heart-wrenching moments, absurd situations, and quotes so easy to relate to that you won’t know whether to laugh or cry.
Switch out your normal Netflix binging for a trip to the Center for this incredible show! My Brilliant Divorce is showing November 1-3 in the Philbin Studio Theatre. Get your tickets before they sell out!